Oh. My. Lanta. WHAT A DAY!
You wanted me to keep you updated on my first ever Thanksgiving dinner, so here you go folks! Today was prep day!
I woke up and hit the floor running knowing that I had many dishes to prepare and lots of chores ahead of me. So I gave my Mom a ringy-dingy (that's how I begin my days), while Levi watched Super Why and had his breakfast. When I hung up, I headed to the kitchen to start my marathon day of cooking.
Here's how the rest of my day went in a bullet point list!
* I had a bit of a sweet potato massacre that involved the mushy orange substance all over the kitchen and all over my toes. I screamed. I now have a new appreciation for the game "hot potato". The Lonestar song, "Mr. Mom" rang threw my head the rest of the day ... "sweet potatoes in my lazy chair." They. were. everywhere!
* My favorite dish to prepare today was the broccoli casserole. It went by in a flash! Super easy and always yummy.
* This cute little blond headed boy followed me around all morning saying, "I can help you, Mommy!", every time I turned around. I didn't have the heart to send him away, so I let him help. This delayed me by about 78 hours. Give or take a few. (Oh, but he was so precious.)
* Two dishes down and around lunch time, I realized I needed a couple things at the store. So, I jumped in the shower, threw on some makeup, clothed Levi and myself and headed out. We stopped for tater tots to boost morale. It worked.
* When we were hopping through the store throwing random things in the cart, Levi hung his head over the front of the basket guiding us along. I stopped to look at something I didn't need, and he turned around, gave me the biggest smile and said, "I love you so much, Mommy." Ah! My heart exploded right then and there as I smothered him with kisses in the middle of the aisle. It definitely put in perspective this crazy day I was having. None of that mattered. My little boy made it all better.
* I wanted to face plant in every dish I made today. It might not be the best idea to have The Preggie host Thanksgiving. I doubled most of the recipes, but with my appetite, there may not be anything left.
* Michael Buble's new Christmas CD totally made my day a happy and festive one! The perfect accompaniment to a day in the kitchen!
* In between each dish I made, I stopped to load the dishwasher and switch out the washing machine clothes to the dryer. I swear I repeated this process 92 times today. (Again, give or take.) And each time I went to make a new thing, I'd grab the same bowls and pans out of the dishwasher to reuse! My little pink mixing bowl and my big skillet were used and washed over and over and over again. I think I used 4 dishwashing tablets.
* I called my Mom probably 291 times today and HeyTell'd one of my BFF's 291 times, too.
* I made dressing for the first time in life. It wasn't near as hard as I had once imagined, and it looks and smells really good, but of course I don't know how it tastes yet. I doubled the recipe and my gracious sakes, I needed an industrial bowl to mix it all with! I have crumbs ALL over the kitchen floor. I also couldn't stop eating the cornbread before I mixed it all together. Heavens oh HEAVENS do I love cornbread.
* I broke a measuring cup. I broke the handle off. That was one well worn measuring cup. I kind of wanted to have a memorial service for it.
* I still haven't dusted. I still haven't vacuumed. I still haven't picked up Weebie's room. I still haven't set the table. Depending on how the evening and tomorrow goes, my guests may be eating amongst Buzz, Woody and a heck of a lot'a crumbs.
* There are enough AlphaBits cereal letters on the floor to spell supercalafragalisticexpialidocious. Three times.
* When I cut onions, I cry. I mean, I have tried every trick in the book and my eyes still water. When I watch the Food Network, I wonder how on earth they cut onions and never bat an eye. I think I have super sensitive onion eyes. I can look at one from the other room and the water works begin.
Today only one eye watered. The toothpick in my mouth must have only worked on one eye. Gah!
Oh, and I have no idea why my nose is so red. I could lie and say I'd been sneezing all day, but I wasn't. I guess I'm just embracing my inner Rudolph this season.
* Levi asked me what everything was that we were making and then he'd say, "Oh, _____ is my FAVORITE!" (whatever said dish was.) So hilarious. Such an encourager.
* My mother-in-law is bringing the meat and Husby's grandma is bringing the pie, so those are two huge things I don't have to think about! Yay!
* Husby is on his way home and we are having leftovers for supper and then I'm back at it. I think I'll set the table and clean the bathrooms tonight.
And there you have it, my wild day in a nutshell. Tomorrow is the big day. Wish me luck, lovies!!!