Skip to main content

NaCl for Life.

You know what bugs me?  Restaurants without salt and pepper shakers on their tables because "everything should be perfectly seasoned already".  Hmm mmm.  Salt and pepper shakers are vital to my organs.  If I don't have them, I shall fall over and die.  And perfectly seasoned to you most likely isn't perfectly seasoned to me.  Because salt and pepper course through my veins. They are an intricate and imperative part of my existence.  You know how they say 60% of our bodies are water?  Well, the other 40% of mine is salt and pepper.  Well, and Oreos.  But that's a whole other conversation.

I can't have a salad without at least 15 shakes of black pepper.  So based on that fact alone, I'm going to need the shakers on the table.  I've only dined at one or two restaurants in my life who have that little rule of thumb and just knowing I couldn't have those little shakers made me want them ... no, NEED them desperately.  Even if the food actually was perfect to the pallet, I didn't know it.  My taste buds were hyperventilating for the granules and peppercorns. I almost had to run in the kitchen and shock my tongue back to life using the S&P shakers like those chest paddles for your heart.

I mean business when it comes to salt and pepper, and I don't like it when people take them away from me. It's a form of cruel and unusual punishment. What did I ever to do deserve that?

Proof that S&P is such a big part of my culinary life: Husby and I dressed up like them for our very first married Halloween.  Such silly youngsters.



Looking back on it, we should have used colanders for hats.  Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.  I just can't get over the fact I was brave enough to wear white sweats. I mean, first there are sweats.  Uggo.  Then there are WHITE sweats. Yike-a-RAMA. 

Anything for my devout devotion to the trusty salt and pepper shakers.

Shoop, shoop ba-doop.

Mysteriously, I can't get that song out of my head as I write this post.  Hmmm.


Anyone else out there a serious S&P lover like me? Ever dined at a place that confiscates them? Did it make you want to throw something across the room? I'mana start carrying them in my purse. Better safe than sorry! :)

I am a modern day homemaker with a passion for family, cooking, celebrating, decorating, travel, and memory making! The Lord has blessed me with the desires of my heart in my husband and our two sons. We recently built our dream home and cultivating a loving and happy haven for my family is where I find so much joy.


  1. I'm not a salt lover (Makes my tongue swell...or so I think lol). BUT I NEED pepper!!! Here is Okinawa at local restaurants off base it is rare to find SnP shakers on the table! Seriously dumbfounded me the first few times, but after a year and half I getting used to it!

  2. Yes, I totally agree! Everything needs more pepper as far as I am concerned! Preferably, freshly ground pepper. I like the idea of carrying some in my purse (LOL!)

  3. PF Chang's (a nice chinese chain) doesn't have salt and pepper. They do have soy sauce and a pepper oil, but that is NOT the same!

  4. I so agree. Can't live without either. We have 3 different salt shakers and 2 pepper shakers in our kitchen alone.

  5. Boston Market does it to encourage healthy eating habits.

  6. Yep! Pepper is a MUST! Preferably fresh ground. As far as I can remember I've never been to a restaurant that didn't have them on the table.

  7. After playing at OU, my husband now has a MAJOR addiction to salt. (They used to pour it on their food so the athletes would retain water and not dehydrate) He hates going to restaurants that confiscate the shakers too. He actually carries those mini packets in his truck - just in case. Thankfully he hasn't thought of stashing them in my purse!

  8. I'm the complete opposite! I can't stand salt (I don't cook or bake with it - i don't add it in if a recipe calls for it. In fact, the only reason I have some in my kitchen is because it came attached to the pepper). And I like pepper on a few things; but, generally, I don't use it either (unless a recipe calls for pepper). My boyfriend LOVES pepper - he's like you, must add several dashes of it to everything he eats.

  9. Honestly, I never pick up or even notice salt and pepper shakers on tables in restaurants! At home, the only thing I put out is our pepper grinder. I don't even think about using them. I just eat!

  10. my friends and i spent a semester in italy for our architecture program. my roommate brought her own salt and pepper shakers because we weren't sure what seasonings would be readily available to us in the stores and restaurants. we carried those thing through all of europe just to be prepared! :)


Post a Comment

May the Lord bless you and keep you safe today! Thanks for the comment, friends! :)